This is really easy to make and tastes great. An excellent source of protein, calcium and good fats, I love it with cold almond milk or whole organic cow’s milk and also with chopped fruit and natural yoghurt. It can be added to smoothies too! Play around with the ingredients to suit whatever you have to hand. Essentially you should aim to have 1-2 cups of seeds and 1-2 cups of nuts.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 5 cups porridge oats
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup dried coconut flakes (optional)
- ½ cup sultanas or raisins
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup goji berries
- ½ cup white mulberries (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Add the coconut oil and honey to a large deep roasting tray and place in the oven for a few minutes so that the oil/honey melts/liquifies.
- Add the oats, seeds, nuts, salt and mix well.
- Return the tray to the oven and bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes, making sure to stir the mixture every 10 mins to ensure even cooking. Helps to set a timer to do this – it can burn easily if left unattended!
- Remove from the oven once nicely browned and toasty. Add the coconut, dried fruits, spices and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Leave to cool in the tin and store in a large sealable jar or container. Enjoy!