Smokey Black Bean Burgers
These go down really well in our house! They are suitable for freezing which is even better – I can make a big batch knowing that on busy days I have a quick and tasty meal at the ready. We like to indulge with full burger toppings and crispy potato wedges or a big salad. Equally delicious sans floury bap. Would also be lovely falafel-sized and in a wrap.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes (30 minutes if you are having wedges)
Serves 6 (or 8 if you like a smaller burger)
- Use a food processor to finely chop garlic and onions.
- Add the black beans, eggs, chipotle sauce, chopped coriander, ground oatcakes, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse so that you have a reasonably smooth mixture. Spilt mixture into six (or eight) balls.
- Preheat your oven to 100 degrees celsius. Heat a little rapeseed or olive oil in a griddle pan or frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add two balls and flatten with the palm of your hand / fish slice to make a burger shape.
- Cook for about 12 mins, turning every 2 mins so that you achieve a brown burger that is hot right the way through. Keep warm in the oven. Cook the remaining burgers (or shape into burgers, individually wrap in cling film and freeze).
- Serve in a floury bap with slices of mature cheddar, finely sliced red onion, avocado or guacamole, slices of fresh juicy tomatoes. Don’t forget full fat mayonnaise and ketchup : -)
- Can also serve with crispy potato wedges (cooked for 30 mins at 200 degrees celsius with some olive oil, salt, pepper, mixed herbs) and / or a salad. Enjoy.