Roasted Aubergine with Spiced Bulgar Wheat and Tahini Sauce
This post is inspired by a good friend’s other half who admitted he does not fully enjoy veggie meals. He misses the meat too much. An understandable and common complaint. So in attempt to
convert help him on the veggie path, I am digging out some of my favourite flavour-packed and tummy-filling recipes.
OK.. so I’m off to a controversial start… Aubergines. I love them! But they are not everyone’s favourite vegetable. However, cooked right, they are incredibly moorish and delicious. This is a delightful recipe. Just the right amount of spice and heat, soothed by the creamy lemony tahini sauce. And substantial too.
Don’t be put off by the list of ingredients. It’s a tasty dish and worth the separate steps.
Recipe adapted from the following source:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Preheat fan oven to 200 degrees celsius (220 degrees conventional oven). Lightly grease a baking tray with olive oil, set to one side. You may need two trays (hence the fan oven) depending on the size of your aubergines.
- Rinse and dry aubergines. Cut in half, then slice in ½ cm strips, length-wise. Place on prepared baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on middle shelf for 20 minutes – aubergine should be golden and crisping around the edges.
- Place bulgur wheat in a fine mesh sieve and rinse well. Add it to a medium saucepan along with rest of ingredients for bulgur wheat. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce and let cook for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, do not lift lid, turn off heat and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- While the aubergine and bulgar wheat are cooking, place a large flat skillet pan (with lid) on med-high heat. Add olive oil and when hot, sauté onions until translucent but not browned – about 5-8 mins.
- Add chickpeas. Reduce heat and add the cooked bulgur wheat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Harissa, lemon juice, garam masala and water. Add mixture to pan, stirring well to incorporate. Put lid on, turn off heat and leave to rest.
- Make the tahini sauce by adding the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk well to incorporate.
- Spoon out chickpea and bulgar wheat on to each plate, top with roasted aubergine and sprinkle with crumbled feta if using. Drizzle with some tahini sauce and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve with a green salad. Enjoy.